“We stand in solidarity with the call for Black liberation. In light of recent movements to address police brutality and anti-Black racism across the world, we’ve been looking at how to do our part.
BLACK BRILLIANCE will be a 6-day online filmmaking workshop for young Black artists to create an original film, with the mentorship and support of professional Black artists and youth workers – Mariam Barry, Vanessa Richards, and Khari McClelland.
This program is a Black space for youth of African descent, and is free for youth participants, and no previous experience is necessary!
We may be distancing, but community will not be cancelled!
In this FREE program, you will:
- Learn how to plan, shoot, and edit a short film, all from home
- Create art in an all-Black space
- Receive a FREE 6-month software license for Adobe Premiere Rush
- Work creatively with a group of peers
- Have a ridiculous amount of fun!
- Of African descent
- Excited about filmmaking and interested in using film for social change
- Curious to try a new model of collaborative, pandemic-era filmmaking
- Between the ages of 15 and 30
- Available for ALL 6 program sessions listed below
- Able to access a computer or laptop that can run Zoom (details) and Adobe Premiere Rush (details).
This will be an all-Black space. We welcome any level of experience, and youth who are female-identified, LGBTQ2S+ or who have disabilities or face systemic and structural barriers are highly encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Up to 20 young people will be chosen to participate in this project. Your films will be featured at a virtual gala after the program, submitted to the Reel Youth Film Festival, and distributed on YouTube, social media and the Reel Youth website.
Tuesday, August 25 2 – 3:30 pm
Friday, August 28 2 – 3:30 pm
Tuesday, September 1 10 – 11:30 am
Friday, September 4 2 – 3:30 pm
Tuesday, September 8 2 – 3:30 pm
Friday, September 11 2 – 3:30 pm
Participants must commit to attending all days and completing homework assigned between sessions (we will keep it light!).”
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://reelyouth.ca/blackbrilliance.html
-from Reel Youth