Scarborough’s arts scene takes spotlight at Alive with Art, a festival of Scarborough’s creativity (August 19 & 26)
“Scarborough’s arts scene takes spotlight at Alive with Art on August 19 and 26
This August, Scarborough comes alive with live performances, an arts market, outdoor film screenings, kids’ activities, food trucks, and more! All of it is part of Alive with Art, a festival of Scarborough’s creativity, presented by Scarborough Arts.
The family-friendly, multi-weekend festival will animate two Scarborough spaces: Scarborough Museum at Thomson Memorial Park, from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, August 19; and Harrison Properties, from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, August 26 through a showcase of Scarborough’s most talented community of artists. Everyone is invited to enjoy, experience, and participate in an array of FREE arts and entertainment in your backyard!
Event highlights include:
- Over 40 local artist vendors, makers, and community booths selling and showcasing visual arts and crafts (August 26)
- Outdoor stage featuring live performances from over 20 local musicians and performers including T.Dot Brass Bangerz, St. Royals, and MVDHOUSE
- Writing workshop and readings by 6 professional and emerging writers as part of What’s Your Story Scarborough? presented in partnership with the Ontario Book Publishers Organization (August 26)
- Durational performance art piece by Pulari Collective in the Bluffs Gallery (August 26)
- CANVAS CLASH, a live interactive painting competition featuring audience members and emerging and professional artists (August 26)
- Free outdoor film screenings of Night at the Museum at Scarborough Museum on August 19, and Wizard of Oz at Harrison Properties on August 26.
“Community events and festivals are vital to our communities as they celebrate, showcase, and explore the diversity and creative pulse of neighbourhoods. There is a lot of love and care that go into planning and executing these festivals mainly because the feat requires authentic collaboration between the artists, the presenting and partner organizations, and the broader community,” states Jen D. Fabico, Program Director at Scarborough Arts. “Alive with Art is no different! We’ve put together a whole slate of activities—from visual art, performing arts, literature, to crafts—in collaboration with the Scarborough community. There’s something for everyone regardless of your interest, age, or background.”
In addition, we are also announcing our fall season programming at Harrison Properties on August 26. Be the first to learn more about and sign up for our SA Suite of Programs for Fall 2017; find out more about Healthy Arts for Seniors, our new photography and storytelling program; and get to meet the new groups and collectives that are part of the 2nd year of SA Together, our free arts residency program.
We are also announcing and presenting the award to the winner of the inaugural Scarborough Design Competition and launching new merchandise featuring the winning Scarborough-inspired design.
Follow the conversation online using the hashtag #ScarboroughAlive on Facebook (Scarborough Arts), Twitter (@scararts), and on Instagram (@scarborougharts).
What: Alive with Art: A Festival of Scarborough’s Creativity — Day 1
When: Saturday, August 19, 2017 from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Where: Scarborough Museum, Thomson Memorial Park
1007 Brimley Road, Scarborough, ON M1P 3E8
What: Alive with Art: A Festival of Scarborough’s Creativity — Day 2
When: Saturday, August 26, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Where: Scarborough Arts’ Harrison Properties
1859 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON M1N 1T3
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH ARTS
Scarborough Arts, a non-profit charitable organization, is the only arts organization of its kind specifically serving the Scarborough community through innovative arts and culture programs for citizens of all ages. We bring artists to the community and community to artists.”