“The smoke signal is one of the oldest forms of long-distance communication used to gather people together for celebration, to transmit news, and to signal danger.
Hosted by Creative Manitoba Indigenous Programs, Smoke Signals is a gathering of community-engaged artists and arts leaders examining the importance of Indigenous voices in art and media. By reclaiming our roles as oral historians, we find our power through speaking out.
Our goal is to gather around the foundation of our traditional cultural teachings, transmit our Indigenous world view through the power of art and signal the dangers of cultural appropriation. We will spend the day exploring the power of words and intentions in the art world as storytellers and as Indigenous peoples.
With special guests: Elder Albert McLeod, David Garneau, Rosanna Deerchild, Lita Fontaine, Daina Warren, Sadie-Phoenix Lavoie and more to be announced! Hosted by Adeline Bird.
Location: 4th Floor, 245 McDermot Avenue, Creative Manitoba
Price: $10 (registration required) / Artist and under-employed subsidies available. Please contact Arlea at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lunch is provided
Registration Deadline: Thursday Dec 13th, 2018 at NOON
All welcome: The Smoke Signals gathering is for both Indigenous and non-Indigenous artists, students and creatives working in the non-profit service provider sector and in commercial art galleries:
– Artists – visual, literary, craft, performance, etc.
– Art Galleries
– Art and Media Students
– Educational Institutions
– Commercial Galleries
– Artist collectives
– Activist Groups
– Non-profit artist service organizations
During the day we will:
– Understand the historical role of artists within the Indigenous community
– Learn the protocols for engaging Indigenous artists
– Recognize how the arts have the unique ability to transform and galvanize community
– Discover the strength of speaking out and telling your own story
– Acknowledge the unique Indigenous perspectives in our art and media worlds
– Understanding the importance of reclaiming our narrative in the media
– Shed light on the controversies of cultural appropriation in the art world
For more information like registration and full schedules, please visit: creativemanitoba.ca/smokesignals”
-from Creative Manitoba