“APPLY BY SEPT 2nd to win $5000 to support your community youth arts project, start your arts-based business or take your career to the next level!
Call for Submissions
ArtReach and City of Toronto Arts & Culture invite you to participate in our 2016 Pitch Contest. If you are a young artist or a group of artists, between the ages of 18 and 29, we want to hear from you!
We want to support Toronto’s innovative talent and encourage community participation through the arts.
ArtReach and City of Toronto Arts & Culture want to support youth aspirations in the arts. We invite you to submit your ideas, which could land you a spot in front of an esteemed panel of judges for a live and interactive pitch contest!
- You must be an artist or part of a group of artists
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 29
- Developing an artistic project or are serious about your arts initiative
In addition: The Pitch Contest prioritizes the needs of youth and communities that are excluded from mainstream arts opportunities. We ask applicants to self identify their eligibility understanding that this event is intended for communities, artists and arts practices facing systemic barriers, and with few alternative venues for support.
Artists working in a broad range of art forms are encouraged to apply, including dance, drama, music, carnival and circus, film and video, TV and radio, new media, fashion, creative writing, visual arts, crafts, hip hop, design, multi-media, urban arts and more.
Eight lucky applicants will be chosen to pitch their ideas live on October 6th for a chance to win one of two $5000 prizes. There are two categories that you can apply for – please read the following descriptions carefully to determine which category is the best fit for for your idea:
1. COMMUNITY ARTS PROJECTS AND PRODUCTIONS
“Investing in your community through the arts” This category is for individuals and groups whose creative work meets a need or addresses an issue in their community and who invest their profits back into their work. Applicants must show how a $5000 investment in their project will help them to meet a need or address an issue in their community. Projects could include:
- Creation and/or presentation of creative works that address an important issue
- Creative projects or programs that meet an important need (ie: workshops, classes, support programs, etc…)
- Capital investments that enable you to do your community arts work more effectively (ie: equipment, tools, space, etc…)
- Professional or artistic capacity development that will improve the impact of your community arts work (ie: strategic planning, administrative support, artistic skill development, etc.)
Some example projects include:
- The production of a film about gender equity in your community
- Youth hiring an artist to help them develop a mural in their neighbourhood
- A dance crew offering classes to youth with disabilities to explore movement
- A one-person play exploring identity and migration
- A recording arts mentor requiring audio equipment to better support participants
APPLY for Community Arts Projects and Productions
2. CREATIVE BUSINESS AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT
“Investing in your arts business/career”. This category is for individuals and groups whose goal is to develop or invest in their business and/or career in the arts/creative sector. Applicants must show how a $5000 investment in their project will positively impact the development of their business or career. This could includes:
- The creation and/or presentation of creative works to advance your arts business or career
- Capital investments that will enable you to enhance your business or further your career (ie: equipment, tools, space, etc…)
- Professional or artistic capacity development that will help you to advance your business or further your career more sustainably (ie: business planning, administrative support, artistic skill development, etc.)
Some example projects include:
- A fashion design group looking to expand production of their clothing line
- An independent artist developing their portfolio with new works
- A photographer upgrading their equipment
- A creative entrepreneur looking to hire a mentor to develop a business plan
APPLY for Creative Business and Career Development
Process for contestants:
• Complete the online form by the deadline of Sept 2nd.
• The eight lucky finalists chosen to make their pitch will be announced on Sept 19th! ALL finalists are required to attend a two-part workshop series: How To Make a Pitch. Dates will be announced to all applicants in advance.
• Finalists will then pitch their ideas LIVE on Thursday October 6th making a creative, energetic, inspiring and convincing pitch in 5 minutes or less!
• A panel of knowledgeable, high-profile judges will provide on the spot feedback to all finalists and award two winners with the grand prizes of the PITCH CONTEST!”
-from ArtReach’s newsletter
Read ArtReach’s profile in ArtBridges’ Community-engaged Arts Directory & Map